Monday, June 22, 2009

Facebook Adult Supervision

When I first got on Facebook I accepted every friend request that came my way. The friends that I had lost touch with over the years, the people from high school that I had always wondered what had happened to, the friend of the friend that I got drunk with a few years back (what was their name? they sure were fun, I think), the crush I thought I would always like, the people I went to HS with but didn't remember (you went to HS with ____, be their friend), moms from the kids school, the list goes on and on. After I got over the new of FB I realized I needed to do a clean up. Things had spiraled out of control and the friend list was full of people I didn't really know or care about. I decided to use the closet method - if I hadn't sent a message directly to them or worn them in the last 6 months they were off the list! This felt almost as good as cleaning out my closet and went a whole lot faster. The problem was solved! Sadly, new problems continue to arise. The request from family members (she parties that much?), my trainer (no need to see me chowing down on a big fat burger), my friend's mom (feels too much like adult supervision), you get the drift. So how do you get off the hook? And for all those out there who have their boss on their friend list, wake up people. If you have know idea what I'm talking about then please check out http://beanieandmrt.blogspot.com/2009/06/why-you-shouldnt-friend-your-boss-on.html, and then take your boss off!

1 comment:

Beanie said...

Thank you for the shout out!

And you're right! Cleaning out your friend list is cathartic.

one thing Candy (the sick one) taught me is that you can monitor what people see. So if you wanted to keep your trainer as your friend, you can exclude him or her from seeing portions of your profile. That's what I did, and didn't have to worry about hurting someone's feelings by de-friending them.

Have a great day!