Thursday, December 9, 2010

Jamaica: Part 1

This is an old draft I found from 11-2009 and am publishing it now - just because...
Jamaica.  There is so much to say about it I'm not sure where to begin.  First I have to say that since the only person I can be assured will read this is me that I am writing so that I never forget what happened.  There are a few others who sometimes read and I'm pretty sure from reading their blogs that they won't be offended by what I write so here goes it.

We arrived in Negril and went to our first hotel, Blue Caves Castle.   This was a great place to stay while our friends were in town because it was like having your own hotel.  The staff was great, the price was unbeatable, the whole place was groovy and the view was beautiful!   

We had scored Red Stripe and Ganga by this time so it was just a matter of unpacking and getting started.  I must say that my decision to smoke out was out of respect for Jamaica in general...When in Rome! We got settled and started in on the party.  When we were sufficiently out of our minds we headed to Chicken Lavish  for some Jerk chicken. Good food, strong drinks and interesting staff made this a place we returned to again.  We then took a taxi to the beach ($ .60 American) and wandered up and down the beach to the different bars.  When I say beach bar I do mean sand under the feet.  It was wonderful.  In the bars no one bothered us but every time we set foot away from the bar and started walking people came out of the wood work to offer us drugs.  They always went for Mr. Shug first, calling out "Gray Mon" then listing off what drugs they had.  He has salt and pepper hair, hence Gray Mon, but we never figured out what made him get offered more than anyone else.  They swarmed him.  The entire trip it was like this.  We laughed about it a lot (because it wasn't happening to us) and Shug at one point said that a man can only take so much before he breaks down and buys even if he hadn't planned on it.  So that is our lesson in peer pressure, not that they were his peers, but still.  I think he got so much action because he looked like some dude from the 70's looking for a good time. He disagrees. Part 2 coming soon.

2 comments:

M said...

"I must say that my decision to smoke out was out of respect for Jamaica in general" LOLOL priceless

Mike said...

I wanna go to Jamaica with you guys.