Tuesday, November 9, 2010

One Glass At A Time

We got a Breville BJE510XL juicer! It is amazing.  To quote the website "Breville Ikon Multi-Speed Juice Fountain, is 900 watts of juicing power for the more serious juicing crowd". For those that know me, I am not a super serious health nut and I have never even thought of becoming part of the "serious juicing crowd".  I didn't even know that crowd existed.  Shug was asking for a juicer this summer which I conveniently ignored, mainly because I didn't want another appliance that I didn't think we would use much. Later this summer my dear friend/neighbor, Meg,  got a juicer and before I knew it my kids were at her house making and drinking super healthy veggie and fruit juice.  Long story short - I bought a juicer and it rocks.  You don't have to peel pretty much anything except citrus and some very hard skinned fruits - think pineapple and mango. This feature alone makes it  user friendly.
 Making a big, yummy, healthy glass of juice for the whole family involves these steps:
  1. Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900-Watt Variable-Speed Juice ExtractorI washed apples, carrots, and kale                                     
  2. I peeled some oranges and bananas
  3. I pulled the stems off the apples
  4. The boy stuck the fruit into the fruit pipe (not it's real name) while I made breakfast
  5. Tadaaaa! You have a pitcher of pulp free delish juice.  Just like that.  So easy a 7 yr old can do it. 
So as we're all drinking our juice this morning I had this vision of my family slowly climbing our way up the food pyramid towards the fruit and vegetable section.  I have tried to feed my family a pretty healthy diet, which was much easier before they were 5.  The truth is it's just not that easy.  I am feeling really good about the juicer and the changes it can bring to our health.  It came with a manual which has recipes and ideas of what to do with all that pulp.  Tonight when I make lasagna I am going to put the carrot pulp from this mornings juice in it.  We'll see how that goes.  I also think I might be just a bit obsessed right now with it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing!

I bought  mine from Amazon, because it rocks and has free shipping!

I did not receive a single kick back from Breville for this post - but I would have had they offered.

No comments: