Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Community Garden Kicks Ass


Its time for a Community Garden update. After practically forcing my neighbors to join me in the CG, that for awhile was a garden of one, things have really taken off. What was once an ugly empty lot at the end of our street is beautiful. It is kicking ass! I have harvested more tomatoes than I know what to do with, cantaloupe, bell peppers, jalapenos, purple bells, onions, and eggplant. While it is a CG, it is actually comprised of several individual gardens. A community space of gardens. I built it this way because I have the best neighbors in the world, who like to drink and enjoy other extracurricular activities that some times leave us/them zoned out, lazy and forgetful. Meaning that the garden may or may not get watered or tended when it needs to so this way each is in charge of their own space. There is a very strong sense of community and we help each other out whenever its needed, unless of course someone forgets what they were gonna do. This makes it sound like I live on a street filled with Alzheimer's patients. I am so happy that it has worked and how beautiful the space is now. Magnolia Community Garden Rocks!

No comments: